Friday, January 21, 2011

Already Graduated for 10 years…



“We have graduated for almost 10 years…”

During the “pre Chinese New Year” dinner I have with a few Actuarial Science (normally we call “QA”) course-mates yesterday (20.01.2010) at Purple Cane Restaurant (Chinese Assembly Hall, Kuala Lumpur), I made the above remark. Yes, time flies, we have graduated from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) for almost 10 years already.

It was really a great time to catch up with my old friends who I have known for more than 10 years. We also talked about other course-mates who were not there – I did hope that I was able to invite more (especially who work in Kuala Lumpur / Selangor), but unfortunately I do not have all contacts. Some of them work in oversea, such as Bee Chuan, Fong Siong (I just knew that he got married already!), Bee Chee and many more; some of them are we have totally lost contact (not even via Facebook), such as Eng Keong. I really appreciate the time I studied in UKM with these course-mates and it was a great thing that we still keep in touch and have such gathering after so many years.

Gim Chong (and wife), Kok Keong, Kian Sing, Chuen Chee (and wife & son), Ann, Ee Hoon and Kau (and wife), thank you for joining this “reunion” dinner.

“How about next activity?”

“Well… Maybe we can have a visit to UKM campus and meet our lecturers…”

3 comments:

  1. Hi my name is Shu Qing,can I ask you some questions? I received an offer frm ukm for actuarial science course but the thing is I'm not quite sure I.know what actuarial science is. I made it my first choice cos I love maths.I found out that the ukm's syllabus is all in Malay but ukm is recommended compared to um when I'm searching abt the course for local uni. And can I know what is its future prospect besides insurance industries? Is it very hard to pass all the papers to become an actuarist cos I heard that many ppl drop out in the half way. Do i need to take the extra exam papers besides the exam papers during the course? Appreciate a lot for ur reply. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my name is Shu Qing,can I ask you some questions? I received an offer frm ukm for actuarial science course but the thing is I'm not quite sure I.know what actuarial science is. I made it my first choice cos I love maths.I found out that the ukm's syllabus is all in Malay but ukm is recommended compared to um when I'm searching abt the course for local uni. And can I know what is its future prospect besides insurance industries? Is it very hard to pass all the papers to become an actuarist cos I heard that many ppl drop out in the half way. Do i need to take the extra exam papers besides the exam papers during the course? Appreciate a lot for ur reply. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In simple words, we are using mathematical & statistical knowledge in tackling business problems & issues, especially related to financial industries (mainly insurance industry in Malaysia). To get a better picture on what actuarial industry is, I would suggest that you take a look on the articles in http://actuaries.org.my/career/what-is-an-actuary/ (i.e. website from Actuarial Society of Malaysia).

    Actually actuaries can work various industries - in Malaysia, insurance is the dominant industry that actuaries are working. In order to be a "qualified" actuary (i.e. to obtain fellowship), you would need to pass all professional papers. Of course it will be good for you to take some papers (especially those foundation papers) during your university time, as you are studying those subjects at the same time.

    Frankly speaking, actuarial science is not an easy course and the competition is now greater than it used to be (as there are more universities / colleges offering this course). Although the compensations may be attractive comparing to some other industries, actuarial work is never an easy job. Of course you would need to like maths if you would like to study actuarial science, but I would suggest you do a little bit more research as you would need to "like" more apart from maths.

    ReplyDelete

Get Inspiration for New Problems

In my last post and debut podcast, I talked about why strong foundations matter for coming up with smart, workable solutions in business. Bu...